What could be more perfect for a rainy day? Or any day, for that matter.
It’s been raining for about two weeks straight, and I figured what would be better for staying inside than soul-warming baked goods.
Everyone has a favorite banana bread recipe, and this one is really something – a nice crust on the outside and soft in the middle. And whole grains to boot! The dietitian in me can’t help but wave a healthy wand over recipes where I can, and this one is no different. Tested and tweaked over the years, this is my go-to for “healthy comfort food”. It’s husband-approved as well – even with less sugar, less fat, and more fiber than your typical banana bread. And using white whole-wheat flour keeps this bread fluffier and less dense than other whole-wheat quick breads.
I love this bread topped with almond butter (or any other nut butter, for that matter) for breakfast or a hearty snack.
Whether its rainy or sunny or anything in-between, get your mixing bowl out to whip up this tasty treat.
Bake. Eat. Be Happy!
A delicious whole wheat banana bread
- 3 extremely ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- Optional: add 1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon, or other baking spices (I usually use Penzey’s baking spice – I like it spicy, so I typically add about 1 tsp)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 4×8 loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato-masher until few to no lumps remain. Stir in melted butter and buttermilk.
- Mix in the baking powder and salt. Add in sugar, beaten egg, vanilla extract. Gently mix in flours and wheat germ. Add spices if desired.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 183 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 23 mg