If you’re looking for a healthy lemon blueberry muffin recipe, then I’ve got you covered. This recipe for whole wheat lemon blueberry muffins is big on flavor (and blueberries!) while packing a healthy and nutritious punch by using whole wheat flour and less sugar than your traditional muffin.
A 100% whole wheat muffin recipe that is light and fluffy? Yeah, you heard me. You need this muffin in your life.
Even better, it’s a snap to put together, and husband and toddler approved.
This all started out because we had a lot of blueberries to use up. These were gorgeous berries — big, blue, yummy looking berries. Sadly, they were a little softer than what we wanted for eating out of hand, and we had a whole pint of them, so I immediately thought muffins!
Turns out I also had some lemons and buttermilk in the fridge for a recipe that I ended up not making, so all the key players were already on hand — blueberries, lemon, whole wheat flour, and buttermilk. I went lower on the sugar here, because I didn’t want a muffin that was too sweet, and I figured the blueberries would add plenty of sweetness to the muffins without loading it up with additional sugar.
I added a touch of spice with cinnamon and allspice, and it all turned out heavenly. The key to these is using white whole wheat flour — I’ve mentioned it before, but it really does make a difference in baking lighter muffins and breads when using whole wheat flour.
To make these whole wheat lemon blueberry muffins, simply mix your flour, sugar, leavening, spice and salt together. Then in a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients together — vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and buttermilk. I like to lightly dust my blueberries in flour before adding it to the batter — I find it helps them not sink to the bottom of the muffin cup. Once you gently fold in the blueberries, you are ready to bake in a preheated oven.
As all things with cinnamon and blueberries do, your kitchen will smell amazing while these bake, and it will be hard to not scarf them all up as soon as they come out of the oven.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for easy whole wheat lemon blueberry muffins as much as my family does — enjoy!Print
This recipe for whole wheat lemon blueberry muffins is big on flavor (and blueberries!) and packs a healthy and nutritious punch by using whole wheat flour and less sugar than other muffins.
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tins with baking spray, or line with muffin cups and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Whisk to combine.
- In another small bowl, lightly dust blueberries with flour, and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine vanilla, vegetable oil, buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing gently to combine.
- Next, gently fold in blueberries until just mixed.
- Divide batter between muffin cups, filling about 18 cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in tins slightly before removing. Serve.
Keywords: muffins, healthy muffins, whole wheat, lemon blueberry muffins, whole wheat muffins