A healthy whole wheat banana bread recipe that bakes up moist and fluffy. This easy recipe makes one delicious loaf of banana bread that is perfect for breakfast or a morning snack.
- 3 extremely ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- Optional: add 1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon, or other baking spices (I usually use Penzey’s baking spice – I like it spicy, so I typically add about 1 tsp)
- Optional: one banana sliced lengthwise for the top of the loaf and 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar to coat
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 4×8 loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato-masher until few to no lumps remain. Stir in melted butter and buttermilk.
- Mix in the baking powder and salt. Add in sugar, beaten egg, vanilla extract. Gently mix in flours and wheat germ. Add spices if desired.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Optional banana topping: place 1-2 Tbsp sugar or brown sugar on a plate and press the cut side of an additional banana into the sugar. Place banana slices cut side up on top of the batter in pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Use 3 bananas in the batter for this bread. If you have 4 ripe bananas, you can slice the 4th one lengthwise, dust with a little sugar, and place on the top of the batter before baking.
If you do not have buttermilk, you can make your own soured milk to replace the buttermilk in the recipe. To do this, place 1/4 Tbsp lemon juice in a measuring cup, then add milk up to the 1/4 cup line. Stir and let this sit for about 5 min before adding to the batter.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 184
- Sugar: 16 g
- Sodium: 183 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 23 mg
Keywords: banana bread, healthier banana bread, healthy banana bread, whole wheat banana bread, breakfast, snack, comfort food, cozy food, whole grain