Are you looking for a dish that can cross over from warm weather to cooler weather, and that has some creamy, comforting goodness baked right in? Look no further. These creamy goat cheese and quinoa stuffed tomatoes are calling your name.
I cooked up this recipe last year around this time of year, and it was a huge hit – my husband raved, I waved my arms around doing my happy yummy food dance (all the more interesting, as I typically have a fork in my hand and am bouncing up and down in my chair), and friends asked for the recipe when I posted a picture of this deliciousness to Instagram.
This recipe was born from one of those impromptu creations – you know, from those nights when you pull things out of the pantry and fridge and cook up whatever you have on hand. And, well, it came out great! One of those dishes where I start to write down what I did while I’m still eating because it’s just that good.
So, when my husband and I spotted some local heirloom tomatoes in the grocery store recently, well, I just had to make this one again – perfect for the transition from summer to fall when you still can find farm fresh tomatoes, but are in the mood for something a little more fall-worthy.
These come together in a snap, and make a great side to grilled chicken or pork chops.Print
Quinoa and Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp goat cheese, divided
- Heat oil in small sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/2 of chopped rosemary, basil and thyme. Sauté until onion is soft about 5 minutes.
- Rinse and drain quinoa using a mesh colander. Add quinoa to onion mixture and stir over medium heat to toast, about 1-2 minutes. Add water, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down to low and cover. Cook for approximately 20 minutes until quinoa is fluffy.
- While quinoa cooks, heat oven to 350F. Slice the cap from tomatoes and scoop out the seeds and center of each tomato.
- Once quinoa has cooked and is fluffy, remove from heat. Add 1 Tbsp crumbled goat cheese and stir to mix. Stuff tomatoes with the quinoa mixture. Top each tomato with remaining crumbled goat cheese and remaining rosemary.
- Place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Serve.
Leave a Reply