Here’s an easy baked french toast casserole recipe that you can put together the night before and bake the next morning. Made with whole wheat bread, and topped with a cinnamon streusel crumble for a sweet breakfast treat — serve this baked french toast with fresh fruit, or Greek yogurt.
When it comes to overnight French toast casseroles, this one is tops for me.
I love the simplicity of whisking together a few ingredients, pouring it over some crusty bread and letting the whole dish sit in the fridge overnight for when I’m ready to bake it in the morning.
Here, I used a whole wheat loaf that I picked up at the bakery at Publix. Whole wheat bread makes this a filling breakfast and ideal to feed a crowd.
How to Make Baked French Toast
- Start with slightly stale bread. If your bread is fresh, set it out for a bit to let the air dry it out. Cut the bread into small cubes no larger than 1 inch.
- Grease or spray a large baking dish (about 9×13 inches). Place the bread into the prepared casserole.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, sugar, and spices.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. I like to use a fork or spoon to press the bread down into the egg mixture to make sure it soaks up the eggs.
- You can make the streusel topping now, or in the morning while the oven heats up.
- Cover the dish and set in the fridge overnight. If you’ve made the streusel topping, store this in the fridge overnight as well.
- In the morning remove the dish, and let it sit out while the oven heats up. Make the streusel topping if you haven’t done so already.
- Uncover and bake for about 45-50 minutes until the center of the casserole is set.
Once the french toast has baked in the oven, let it cool slightly before serving.
This baked french toast is delicious when served with fresh fruit of any kind – whatever fruit is in season will go well with this dish! I also enjoy this with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt which I find keeps it from tasting too sweet.
If you are lucky enough to have any leftover, store it in the refrigerator. It does reheat well for a few seconds in the microwave, or you can warm it in the oven. And yes, you can freeze it too!
How to Freeze Baked French Toast
- Wrap individual slices in wax paper, then wrap this in foil.
- Place foil packets in a freezer bag and seal after removing as much air as possible from the bag. Place in the freezer to store.
- To reheat, remove individual slices from the foil and wax paper wrapping. Heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 1-2 minutes from frozen.
Here’s an easy baked French toast casserole recipe that you can put together the night before and bake the next morning. Made with whole wheat bread, and topped with a cinnamon streusel crumble for a sweet breakfast treat — serve this baked French toast with fresh fruit, or Greek yogurt.
For the Casserole
1 loaf whole wheat bread, slightly stale and cut into small cubes
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
For the Streusel topping
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
4 Tbsp cold butter
1 tsp cinnamon
- Grease or spray 9×13 casserole baking dish.
- Add bread cubes to dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes, making sure bread cubes soak up the mixture by gently poking and stirring with a fork or spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or if making the same day, let sit for at least 20 minutes).
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Remove baking dish from the fridge while oven heats.
- While oven is heating, make streusel topping by combining flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl. Working with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands, begin cutting the butter into the mixture, until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Uncover baking dish and sprinkle streusel topping over the top of soaked bread cubes.
- Place dish in heated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Freeze by wrapping individual slices in wax paper, then wrap this in foil. Place foil packets in a freezer bag and seal after removing as much air as possible from the bag. Place in the freezer to store. To reheat, remove individual slices from the foil and wax paper wrapping. Heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 1-2 minutes from frozen.
Keywords: make ahead, breakfast, breakfast casserole, french toast, french toast casserole, overnight casserole, overnight french toast, overnight french toast casserole, brunch, holiday, holiday morning, christmas morning