Here’s a simple apple and quinoa salad that is perfect for a filling lunchtime side (or main dish!). This crunchy salad is easy to meal prep over the weekend to pack for the week ahead.
Do you love a good crunchy salad but sometimes want to take a break from lettuce and kale? Well, this salad is for you.
Quinoa provides the protein, while roasted veggies seasoned with my Lebanese spice mix add subtle flavor and richness to the salad. Mix in some crunchy apples and toasted walnuts, and you have yourself one satisfying salad.
How To Make Apple Quinoa Salad
- Start by roasting your seasoned veggies in a preheated 400F oven
- While the veggies are roasting, cook the quinoa
- Also, chop your apple and parsley while the quinoa and veggies are cooking
- Mix up a simple dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and if you wish a touch of sweetener such as honey, maple syrup or agave
- Cool veggies and quinoa and while they are cooling, toast your walnuts in the oven
- Mix everything together and enjoy
This apple quinoa crunch salad is great to prep on weekends to pack in your lunch. It makes a filling side to round out your lunch, or if eating a larger portion it is great as a main dish.
I find the combination of quinoa with sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and apples makes for a nice filling lunch without being too heavy.
What kind of apples should I use to make apple quinoa salad?
Any apples will be great in this salad! But if you’re looking for options, I’d say something with a little tartness such as honeycrisp, pink lady, or snapdragon apples which are the ones I recently found at the grocery store.
I’m a fan of slightly tart, slightly sweet apples, and those will work well in this apple quinoa salad. I find that a little bit of tart balances out the other flavors very nicely.
How to toast walnuts
To toast walnuts, place walnut halves and pieces on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place in a heated oven 350-400F for about 5 minutes. You will want to check on them every couple of minutes because they can quickly burn, but about 5 minutes usually toasts the walnuts very nicely.Print
Apple Quinoa Crunch Salad
This is a simple apple and quinoa salad recipe that is perfect for a filling lunchtime side (or main dish!). This crunchy salad is easy to meal prep over the weekend to pack for the week ahead.
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 head cauliflower, rinsed and chopped into small florets
1 tsp Lebanese spice mix
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup quinoa
1 c water
1 bunch parsley
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar
1/2 cup walnuts
- Heat oven to 400F.
- On a large sheet pan, toss sweet potatoes and cauliflower in Lebanese spice mix and olive oil.
- Place pan in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway during cooking time.
- While veggies are roasting, bring quinoa and 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Chop parsley and apple. Set aside.
- Mix dressing by adding 3 Tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt and honey together in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- When veggies and quinoa are finished, set aside to cool slightly.
- Break walnuts into smaller pieces and place on a baking sheet or foil. Place in the heated oven and toast for about 3-5 minutes.
- Once walnuts are finished toasting, remove from oven, and begin assembling the salad.
- In a large bowl combine roasted vegetables, parsley, apple, quinoa, and toasted walnuts. Drizzle dressing over the salad and mix gently to combine.
Leave a Reply