Here’s a quick and simple dinner idea that is loaded with flavor – Mediterranean veggie pitas! Cooked in just one pan, with only a couple of spices, these pita sandwiches come together in a snap.
I love the simplicity of these Mediterranean veggie pitas. Served warm, with a drizzle of the easiest lemon and cumin sauce, and best of all, made in one pan. To know me is to know I hate doing dishes, so the fewer pans to wash, the better.
So, if you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner, look no further. You’ll get tons of veggies, and have the option to add a protein of your choosing to round out your meal.
These veggie pitas have a few simple ingredients:
- The star of the show here are the vegetables — zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, yellow squash, which are sautéed with a little cumin and garlic.
- Whole wheat or multigrain pita loaves — perfect for piling in the delicious veggies mentioned above.
- Optional protein of your choice — whether plant-based or not, you’ll find it easy to pair a protein with these veggie pitas. Hummus, lentils or chickpeas, stir fry lean beef, or chicken would all pair well with the veggies here.
To make these Mediterranean veggie pitas, start by chopping up your vegetables into roughly the same size pieces – about 1/2 to 1 inch in length.
Next, heat some olive oil in a large skillet — if you’re cooking a protein here, go ahead and add that into the pan and cook that first, then remove and add your veggies along with the cumin and garlic. Sauté that until the veggies are tender. While the veggies are cooking you can mix up the simple lemon cumin sauce.
Then fill your pitas, drizzle a little sauce on the top, and you’re all set.
These Mediterranean veggie pitas are perfect for a quick weeknight meal where you need to get a meal on the table in about 30 minutes or less. Simple, filling, and delicious, I hope you enjoy them!Print
These Mediterranean veggie pitas are perfect for a quick and simple weeknight meal that comes together in under 30 minutes. Simple, filling, and delicious, these pitas are served warm with a drizzle of lemon cumin dressing.
For the pitas
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium yellow squash, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 medium eggplant, peeled, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium tomato, diced (about 1 1/2 cups
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 whole wheat pita loaves, cut in half
For the lemon & cumin dressing
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
Choose Your Protein (optional)
3/4 cup hummus
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 lb lean flank steak.
1 lb chicken
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomato, garlic. Season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Saute until cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Return beef to pan. Toss to coat.
- Divide mixture into 6 pita pockets.
- Whisk together lemon juice, cumin, salt and garlic in a bowl.
- Serve pitas with a drizzle of sauce.
Choose your favorite protein to add to the pita to round out the meal – if pre-cooked, add with the veggies and spices, or if not cooked (for example chicken or beef), add to the pan before adding the veggies, and cook until done, then remove from pan to cook veggies finally returning protein to the pan to mix with veggies before serving.