Savory Italian herb crusted chicken simmered with whole grain farro and tomatoes made all in one skillet. This one pan dinner cooks up fast for an easy and filling weeknight meal.
This one skillet chicken and farro is the perfect dish for a quick and satisfying dinner.
Herb crusted chicken.
Whole grain farro.
One skillet dinners are a favorite in our house, because I hate doing dishes. So if I can get it all done in one pan, then, well, I’m definitely a fan! Which makes this one skillet chicken and farro dish the perfect fit for our family.
Made with ingredients that you are likely to have on hand, this dinner comes together in a snap. Just top your bowl of chicken and farro with shaved parmesan, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal. Here’s how:
How to make one skillet chicken and farro
- Cut your chicken into four equal sized pieces making sure they are all about the same thickness.
- Season the chicken, then sear on both sides for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside (you’ll add it back in later).
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes garlic, basil and farro to the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the farro is tender
- Add the chicken back in and continue cooking until chicken is done.
- Wilt in about two handfuls of spinach.
- Serve chicken and farro topped with shaved or grated parmesan cheese.
I’m sure you will love this savory and delicious chicken and farro dish!Print
One Skillet Chicken and Farro
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop, skillet
- Cuisine: Italian
Savory Italian herb crusted chicken simmered with whole grain farro and tomatoes in one skillet. This one pan dinner cooks up fast for an easy and filling weeknight meal.
1–1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dry basil
1 cup pearled farro
1 cup spinach
Garnish: fresh basil and grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Cut chicken into 4 evenly sized pieces of equal thickness.
- Season chicken on both sides with italian seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet, cooking 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from the skillet onto a plate, and set aside.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet, deglazing the skillet by gently scraping any brown or cooked chicken off the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes, garlic powder, basil and farro to the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken back into the skillet, cover and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until the center of chicken reaches 165F.
- Add spinach to the pan, stirring until just wilted.
- Serve with fresh basil and grated or shaved parmesan cheese.
Keywords: one skillet, one pan, one pan dinner, weeknight dinner, easy weeknight meal, easy dinner, simple dinner ideas, easy healthy dinner, chicken dinner, chicken and farro, family dinner
Leave a Reply