Savory Italian herb crusted chicken simmered with whole grain farro and tomatoes in one skillet. This one pan dinner cooks up fast for an easy and filling weeknight meal.
1–1.5 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dry basil
1 cup pearled farro
1 cup spinach
Garnish: fresh basil and grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Cut chicken into 4 evenly sized pieces of equal thickness.
- Season chicken on both sides with italian seasoning, pepper and salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to the skillet, cooking 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from the skillet onto a plate, and set aside.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet, deglazing the skillet by gently scraping any brown or cooked chicken off the bottom of the pan.
- Add tomatoes, garlic powder, basil and farro to the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken back into the skillet, cover and cook an additional 5-10 minutes until the center of chicken reaches 165F.
- Add spinach to the pan, stirring until just wilted.
- Serve with fresh basil and grated or shaved parmesan cheese.
Keywords: one skillet, one pan, one pan dinner, weeknight dinner, easy weeknight meal, easy dinner, simple dinner ideas, easy healthy dinner, chicken dinner, chicken and farro, family dinner