Lemon roasted asparagus is the perfect spring side dish and is so simple to make. This asparagus is perfect with fish, seafood, poultry, or accompanying a vegetarian dish too.
There’s something about spring that makes me think of lemons and what pairs better with asparagus than lemon!
This lemony roasted asparagus is ready in 20 minutes, and you can even make a sheet pan meal out of it with some salmon and potatoes. Dinner will be on the table in a flash!
For this lemon roasted asparagus you will need just a few ingredients:
a fresh lemon
That’s it – no salt or pepper needed, though you can add them after if you’d like to. I just prefer the fresh lemony flavor paired with the asparagus all on its own.
If you are new to buying and cooking asparagus, here are a few tips for you to get you started – knowing what to look for when shopping helps you pick the best produce for your meals!
Tips for buying asparagus
- Look for skinnier stalks of young asparagus – these will not have as much of the woody end to trim before cooking.
- If you can’t find thinner asparagus, look for stalks with as little white at the bottom end – this is the woody end you will need to cut away before cooking.
- If all you can find are thick stalks, you may end up cutting quite a bit away before cooking – it will still taste fine, it’s just good to know that you might have to cut a lot away!
Tips for storing asparagus in the fridge
- If you won’t cook your asparagus right away, trim the ends of the stalks so that you have a fresh cut edge.
- Store the stalks upright in a glass with enough water to submerge the cut ends so that the stalks don’t dry out before you have a chance to cook them. The fresh cut edge allows the stalks to absorb the water needed to keep them from drying out.
Roasting the asparagus brings out a nice flavor in this quintessentially spring veggie. After the asparagus has roasted, simply grate some lemon zest over the top, and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice. It doesn’t get any easier than that.
I hope you enjoy this lemon roasted asparagus recipe – I think I’ll be adding this to the spring menu for many weeks to come! Enjoy!Print
Lemon Roasted Asparagus
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: veggies, sides
- Method: roasted
- Cuisine: vegetarian
Lemon roasted asparagus is the perfect spring side dish and is so simple to make. This asparagus is perfect with fish, seafood, poultry, or accompanying a vegetarian dish loaded with spring veggies!
1 bunch asparagus
1 fresh lemon for juice and zest
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- While oven is heating, rinse asparagus under cool water, pat dry, then trim woody ends from the bottom of the asparagus stalks.
- Place asparagus on sheet pan and spritz or drizzle olive oil over the top, and turn to lightly coat.
- Place sheet pan into preheated oven and roast for about 20 minutes, stirring after about 10 minutes.
- Remove sheet pan from oven, place asparagus on serving plate or dish.
- Top with a light sprinkle of lemon zest, and finish with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
When trimming the asparagus, try to remove as much of the woody end of the stalk before roasting — this will be much easier to eat without the tough end still on the stalk.
Add as much or as little lemon zest and juice as you would like – then season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
Keywords: asparagus, roasted asparagus, lemon, lemon zest, fresh lemon
Leave a Reply