We have a problem right now in our house. A problem with too many brown bananas. I seriously think we have about three gallon freezer bags full of frozen bananas that we’ve been collecting over the last several weeks. The only solution I can think of is banana bread. Obviously!
I’ve taken my yummy whole-wheat banana bread recipe and made it even yummier by using four bananas in the bread. Go big or go home, right?
At least this will use up a large amount of bananas in one delicious swoop. Does anyone else have this kind of banana problem too? Somehow we end up with at least one or two (sometimes four) overripe bananas that once they reach that super ripe phase, nobody wants to eat them. So, into a freezer bag they go until we literally have bananas coming out of our ears. Well, maybe not literally, but you know.
Fortunately, this is a really easy recipe, and makes one yummy loaf of banana bread. For this recipe, I added in some allspice in addition to cinnamon. I think the extra flavor really makes this something special.
I love using whole-wheat flour in this recipe, because it makes the bread heartier without sacrificing flavor or texture, and it also fills me up when I spread some peanut butter or almond butter on top of a thick slice for breakfast.
The recipe calls for buttermilk, but you can swap this out for plain yogurt thinned with a bit of milk if you don’t have buttermilk on hand. If you have neither of these, but you do have milk and a little lemon juice, you can make your own with a little soured milk – to do this, add a small amount of lemon juice to milk (1/4 Tbsp lemon juice to 1/4 cup of milk), and let it sit for about 5 minutes before adding in to the recipe.
Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease a 4×8 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir to combine. Set bowl aside.
- In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, butter, buttermilk (or yogurt thinned with milk), sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, stirring gently until just mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, and place into preheated oven.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
Leave a Reply