A hearty dish of broiled salmon served with savory lentils and creamy goat cheese makes a healthy and filling dinner. Delicious on its own or served with rustic whole grain bread, this easy salmon dish is sure to please!
- Olive oil, about 1 Tbsp
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 of a large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup dry French green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 ounce white wine (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 4-oz. salmon filets
- Garlic salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, divided
- 8 Tbsp goat cheese, divided
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat down to low. Cover partly, and continue to simmer for 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While lentils cook, rinse salmon and pat dry.
- Season salmon with garlic salt and pepper.
- Move the oven rack to the highest position and turn the broiler on to high.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place salmon on the lined baking sheet. Place under the heated broiler for about 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145F.
- While salmon broils, add half of the spinach to the lentils when most of the cooking liquid has been absorbed by placing handfuls of spinach into the pot and stirring gently until just wilted.
- Divide the remaining spinach among 4 large bowls or plates. Divide lentil mixture into the 4 bowls.
- Place cooked salmon into the bowls with spinach and lentils, then top the lentil mixture with 2 Tbsp each goat cheese.
- Serve, preferably with some rustic bread!
- sort and pick through lentils to check for small stones before cooking
- wine is optional when cooking the lentils – it adds another layer of depth to the dish, but is still absolutely delicious without it
- I love to serve this with rustic bread if I’m particularly hungry, but also serve this dish on its own, as it is quite filling with lots of fiber for the lentils
- Serving Size: 1 bowl with salmon and lentils
- Calories: 506
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 713 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 50 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
Keywords: salmon, broiled salmon, lentils, savory, goat cheese, spinach, lentils with goat cheese, healthy dinner, healthy dinner ideas, healthy recipes, easy recipes, comfort foods, hearty bowls