Delicious layers of peppermint ice cream and Oreo cookies make up this fun holiday dessert. Kids will have fun adding extra toppings while making this festive treat.
1 package Oreos, divided
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/4 to 1/2 gallon peppermint ice cream, softened
1 1/2 cup cool whip
Crushed candy canes or peppermints
- Start by setting out your ice cream to soften while you make the crust.
- Take about half a package of Oreo cookies (approx 18 cookies), and crush these until they are in a fine crumb.
- In a bowl, mix cookie crumbs with melted butter and press into a 8×10 or 9×12 baking dish or pan to make the crust.
- Next, gently spoon over the softened ice cream and spread to cover the crust. I used about 4-6?? cups of ice cream, a little less than 1/2 gallon because I used a smaller 8×10 pan (and also Dave and I ate some of the ice cream before we decided to use it for this recipe haha), but I imagine a 9×12 could handle about a 1/2 gallon, so it’s up to you how much to use. You’ll want a layer of ice cream about 1 inch thick give or take.
- If you are adding the cool whip, spread this layer on gently over the ice cream.
- Crush the remaining Oreos into rough pieces and place on top.
- Add any additional toppings you like at this step, or when serving.
- Place the dish back into the freezer for at least an hour to set.
- Once solid, cut into 12 squares and serve!
Keywords: dessert, holiday, peppermint, peppermint surprise, oreo, ice cream, no bake, easy dessert