This instant pot butternut mac and cheese recipe is quick and easy, and will have dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Sweet butternut squash, savory cheddar and parmesan cheese — basically all the delicious things in one bowl. Great for a quick weeknight meal that gets a healthy dinner on the table fast.
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp dried thyme
Dash of nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb whole wheat pasta (I used penne)
4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup milk
1 can butternut squash purée
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Turn instant pot on to the sauté function. Add olive oil. Once oil is heated, add onion, garlic and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Turn sauté function off, and add thyme, nutmeg, paprika, pepper and stir.
- Add pasta, and broth so that most of the pasta is submerged in the broth.
- Close lid, Be sure vent is set to sealing. set to manual high pressure, 4 minutes, or half of cooking time of the pasta box instructions, minus one.
- Once timer is completed and pasta has cooked, do a quick release of the steam by Covering the steam valve with a towel or cloth and using a long handled spoon to move the steam vent knob from sealing to venting. You may have some starch coming out with the steam – this is ok.
- Once all the steam has released, carefully open lid, and stir pasta. You may have a little liquid still in the pot, this is ok!
- Add milk and butternut, stirring to combine.
- Next, add cheeses, stirring until melted. This may take a minute or two. If you find it’s taking longer, turn on the sauté function again while stirring to help melt the cheese. Only do this for a minute or so, as it gets hot very quickly and the pasta can start to stick.
Keywords: instant pot, mac and cheese, butternut, healthy mac and cheese, whole wheat, quick and easy meals, dinner, meal prep