Heartwarming cocoa chili for cold weather days, comfort food days, or just because. The perfect healthy chili recipe!
- 1/2 lb lean ground meat (93/7 or 95/5)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomato with chili flavor
- 2 cans low sodium or no-salt added kidney beans
- 1 to 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder (use more if you like it spicier, use less if you don’t)
- 1 10 oz can tomato soup
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground meat, stirring and breaking up into smaller pieces.
- When meat is mostly brown, with just a little pink, add onion and chili powder. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion has begun to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (tomato soup through nutmeg). Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
I know, I know – there’s such a range on the chili powder! But with some brands, I’ve found it is so much spicier than others making the chili hotter than intended, so please season to taste.
For a vegetarian option, swap in an additional can of beans instead of meat.
Look for diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, or you can even use plain diced tomatoes if you are worried about too much spice…if you like things hot, then by all means try it with hotter chilis (they’re just too hot for me :))
Best served with cornbread — sweet cornbread if you know what’s good for you 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 615
- Fat: 3.4
- Saturated Fat: 1.4
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 8.5
- Protein: 17
- Cholesterol: 29
Keywords: chili, chili recipe, healthy chili, healthy recipe, cocoa, comfort food, rainy day meals