Easy recipe for ginger cookies that are perfect anytime – for Christmas parties, cookie exchanges, or just to enjoy any day. Crispy on the edges and soft in the middle — a cross between gingersnaps and molasses cookies. Just know these cookies are habit forming!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line cookie sheet with baking parchment and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set this bowl aside.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until combined, and mixture looks fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, water and molasses.
- Gradually add 1/3 of the flour mixture, and mix to combine. Repeat again with 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until combined. Repeat a final time with the remaining flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- Using a spoon or tablespoon measure, scoop and roll dough into balls about 1 1/2 inches across. Roll dough ball in sugar and place on parchment, about 2 inches apart and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly on pan before moving to wire cooling rack. Once cookies have cooled completely, store in an airtight container.
soften butter at room temperature before beginning
I recommend chilling the dough if it feels too sticky on your hands when rolling
Keywords: ginger cookie, soft ginger cookie, crispy ginger cookie, holiday, christmas cookies, holiday baking, holiday treat, favorite cookie