Fluffy, soft muffins full of whole grain oats and warm cinnamon. This simple and easy muffin recipe freezes well and reheats fast for a quick and healthy breakfast.
2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 cup buttermilk
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine oats and buttermilk in a large bowl, stirring to combine. Let sit while you measure out the remaining ingredients and prepare baking pans, about 10-15 minutes.
- Spray muffin pans with nonstick baking spray, or line 18 muffin cups and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract, stirring to mix into the oat mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the oat mixture, gently stirring until just combined.
- Distribute evenly between 18 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 F for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in muffin tins before removing to cooking racks.
To freeze: place muffins in a single layer in a freezer safe bag.
To warm frozen muffins: place muffins on a microwave safe plate and heat for 30-45 seconds for 1-3 muffins. Increase time for 4 or more muffins.
Keywords: muffins, cinnamon oatmeal, cinnamon oatmeal muffins, easy muffins, breakfast, morning, muffins and quick breads, buttermilk muffins, easy recipes, healthy recipes, healthy muffins, whole grains, whole grain muffins, oats, oatmeal, oatmeal muffins