Healthy vegetarian comfort food with savory giant lima beans cooked to creamy perfection with tomatoes and herbs. Serve with crusty bread or whole wheat cornbread for a filling meal.
- 1 lb large lima beans
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme, chopped
- 2–3 leaves basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil to make this a vegan dish)
- Place lima beans in large bowl or pot, cover with cold water and soak overnight or at least 8 hours.
- After soaking, drain and rinse lima beans. Place beans in a large dutch oven or pot.
- Cover with water, about 1/2 inch above the top of the beans. Bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered for one hour.
- After one hour, add tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and butter. Continue simmering for 1 hour or until beans are tender.
Leave out the butter and drizzle in a little olive oil instead to make this a vegan meal.
Keywords: lima beans, vegetarian, vegan, comfort food, savory, tomatoes, herbs