This recipe for whole wheat lemon blueberry muffins is big on flavor (and blueberries!) and packs a healthy and nutritious punch by using whole wheat flour and less sugar than other muffins.
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray muffin tins with baking spray, or line with muffin cups and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Whisk to combine.
- In another small bowl, lightly dust blueberries with flour, and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine vanilla, vegetable oil, buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing gently to combine.
- Next, gently fold in blueberries until just mixed.
- Divide batter between muffin cups, filling about 18 cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in tins slightly before removing. Serve.
Keywords: muffins, healthy muffins, whole wheat, lemon blueberry muffins, whole wheat muffins