Here’s an easy baked French toast casserole recipe that you can put together the night before and bake the next morning. Made with whole wheat bread, and topped with a cinnamon streusel crumble for a sweet breakfast treat — serve this baked French toast with fresh fruit, or Greek yogurt.
For the Casserole
1 loaf whole wheat bread, slightly stale and cut into small cubes
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
For the Streusel topping
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
4 Tbsp cold butter
1 tsp cinnamon
- Grease or spray 9×13 casserole baking dish.
- Add bread cubes to dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes, making sure bread cubes soak up the mixture by gently poking and stirring with a fork or spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight (or if making the same day, let sit for at least 20 minutes).
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Remove baking dish from the fridge while oven heats.
- While oven is heating, make streusel topping by combining flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl. Working with a pastry cutter, a fork, or your hands, begin cutting the butter into the mixture, until the mixture becomes crumbly.
- Uncover baking dish and sprinkle streusel topping over the top of soaked bread cubes.
- Place dish in heated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Freeze by wrapping individual slices in wax paper, then wrap this in foil. Place foil packets in a freezer bag and seal after removing as much air as possible from the bag. Place in the freezer to store. To reheat, remove individual slices from the foil and wax paper wrapping. Heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 1-2 minutes from frozen.