These Mediterranean veggie pitas are perfect for a quick and simple weeknight meal that comes together in under 30 minutes. Simple, filling, and delicious, these pitas are served warm with a drizzle of lemon cumin dressing.
For the pitas
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium yellow squash, sliced (about 1 cup)
1 medium eggplant, peeled, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
1 medium tomato, diced (about 1 1/2 cups
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 whole wheat pita loaves, cut in half
For the lemon & cumin dressing
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp minced garlic
Choose Your Protein (optional)
3/4 cup hummus
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
1 lb lean flank steak.
1 lb chicken
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomato, garlic. Season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Saute until cooked, about 5-7 minutes.
- Return beef to pan. Toss to coat.
- Divide mixture into 6 pita pockets.
- Whisk together lemon juice, cumin, salt and garlic in a bowl.
- Serve pitas with a drizzle of sauce.
Choose your favorite protein to add to the pita to round out the meal – if pre-cooked, add with the veggies and spices, or if not cooked (for example chicken or beef), add to the pan before adding the veggies, and cook until done, then remove from pan to cook veggies finally returning protein to the pan to mix with veggies before serving.