- Olive oil, about 1 Tbsp
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 of a large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup dry French green lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 ounce white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 8 Tbsp goat cheese, divided
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Saute until onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth, stirring to combine. Add wine.
- Add bay leaves, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, then turn heat down to low. Cover partly, and continue to simmer 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add spinach in handfuls and stir gently until just wilted.
- Divide lentil mixture into 4 bowls, and top lentil mixture with 2 Tbsp each goat cheese.
- Serve, preferably with some crusty bread!
Definitely take the time to pick through your lentils and discard any small stones.
This makes 4 generous servings – you could divide into more servings for a lighter meal, but I tend to be a little greedy with this recipe and want to eat a large bowl as my main course!