This creamy cheesecake is made in the instant pot, topped with salted caramel sauce and sits atop a gingersnap crust.
For the Crust:
10–15 gingersnap cookies
1–2 Tbsp butter, melted
For the Cheesecake Filling:
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the Salted Caramel Sauce: (makes 1 cup sauce)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup water
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp sea salt, finely ground
additional sea salt to sprinkle on the top when serving
Begin by preparing your pan:
- Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the size of the bottom inside the springform pan.
- Spray your springform pan lightly with baking spray, then place the parchment circle in the pan and spray lightly again.
- Now, you will need to wrap the springform pan in paper towels and foil to keep extra moisture out. Set out a paper towel, then cut a piece of foil to the same size as the paper towel.
- Place the foil on the countertop, and paper towel on top, then set the springform pan on top of the paper towel.
- Wrap the sides of the foil and paper towel up, folding over at the top to cover the outside of the springform pan. Add another layer of foil if needed. Set aside.
For the crust:
- Place gingersnaps in a food processor and pulse until finely crushed. Alternatively you can place them in a food storage bag and crush with a rolling pin or your hands until finely crushed.
- Melt a little butter and mix with gingersnap crumbs, then begin pressing this mixture into the bottom of the prepared springform pan. Once done, set aside or in the refrigerator to set until you are ready to pour the cheesecake filling.
For the cheesecake:
- In a stand mixer, mix together softened cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth.
- Next, add in sour cream and mix until smooth.
- Then add in flour, salt and vanilla, mixing until incorporated. You may need to scrape the sides and bottom to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Add in the eggs, and mix until just smooth.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into your prepared springform pan. Set aside to prepare the instant pot.
- To prepare the instant pot, pour 2 cups of water into the bottom of the pot. Set the trivet that came with the instant pot into the bottom of the pot with the handles pointing up.
- Next, prepare handles for your pan – this will make it so much easier to take out of the instant pot once it’s done and still hot. To do this, cut a large rectangle of foil about 18-20 inches long. Fold this lengthwise in thirds to make a kind of sling to set your prepared springform pan on top of in order to lower into the instant pot.
- Using the foil handles, gently lower the cheesecake into the instant pot.
- Seal the lid, and set to manual high pressure for 35 minutes.
- Once time has counted down, let the cheesecake sit in the instant pot and the pressure to release naturally.
- Carefully remove the cheesecake from the instant pot and set on a cooling rack to cool for at least an hour. There may be some water on the top of the cheesecake – I use paper towels to gently blot up the extra water.
- Cover the cheesecake in foil and transfer to the refrigerator to cool overnight.
- When ready to serve, gently remove the sides of the pan, using a knife if needed. Pour prepared caramel sauce (instructions below) over the cheesecake and sprinkle with a little more sea salt over the top before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
For the sauce:
- Add sugar and water to a large saucepan. Place on stovetop and begin heating on medium heat. Do not stir!! Just swirl very gently occasionally until the mixture starts to bubble.
- The mixture will bubble vigorously, but still do not stir, just swirl gently. Keep doing this for several minutes until the sugar has melted and turns a light amber color. (if you have a candy thermometer, it should read 350 at this point – I don’t have a candy thermometer, so I just do this by sight until it is a light golden amber color).
- Carefully add butter and whisk until the butter has melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly pour in the cream, whisking continuously until all of the cream has been mixed in.
- Whisk in the sea salt and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 254 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 79.8 mg
Keywords: cheesecake, instant pot cheesecake, dessert, salted caramel, salted caramel cheesecake, gingersnap cheesecake, gingersnap crust cheesecake