We’ve been eating a lot of lentils around here, and one of my favorite ways to use them is in salads. If I don’t have a lentil or bean salad with my lunch I tend to feel a little lost and not sure what to eat. Then I start grazing on whatever we have around the house which usually winds up with me raiding the pantry around 3 or 4 o’clock because I’m super hungry.
All this is prevented when I add in the veggies, protein, and fiber I get from my little bowl of lentil salad. It helps the hangry Brooke stay away.
The inspiration from this salad comes from the fresh herbs I do grow in my garden and the veggies that I aspire to grow in my garden.
We have a lot of shade in our yard, so herbs are flourishing, but I’m still working on a good container setup for other full sun veggies. If you have any success tips for growing container vegetables, I’m all in!
I chose the herbs we have growing now – parsley (which is trying to take over my garden beds), dill, and chives. Then I rounded things out with carrots, tomatoes, and a grain for good measure.
I love adding grains to a veggie salad because it can also serve as a full meal by making a complete protein so that you’re getting all of the nutrients you need in one meal. This is a great tip for the vegetarians or vegans out there – especially if you’re just starting out!
All that to say, fresh garden herbs and colorful veggies are a perfect match for lentils in this salad.
So, whether you grow or buy your vegetables and herbs, it doesn’t matter when it comes to this yummy lentil salad recipe.
How to make garden lentil salad
- I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – sort your lentils!
- Cook your farro and your lentils in boiling water, and while they cook, wash and chop your carrots, herbs, and slice your tomatoes.
- Whisk up your dressing – apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil with a dash of salt.
- Drain the lentils and farro, rinse them both in cool water to remove the extra starch.
- Then once the lentils and farro are drained again, mix everything together and enjoy!
Fresh herbs from the garden pair perfectly with lentils for a delicous and hearty salad. This garden lentil salad recipe is simple and tasty – a great vegetarian or vegan salad idea!
1 cup lentils
1/2 cup farro
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup grape tomatoes
Bunch parsley, rinsed and chopped
Bunch dill, rinsed and chopped
Bunch chives, rinsed and chopped
Kosher salt, about 1/2 tsp
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to boil. Add sorted lentils to water, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, brin 1 cup water to boil. Add farro, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While lentils and farro are cooking, in a large bowl mixing bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Set aside
- Chop carrots, and slice tomatoes.
- When lentils and farro are done cooking, drain and rinse under cool water.
- Add the drained lentils, farro, chopped carrot, tomatoes and herbs into the large bowl with dressing. Add salt and stir gently to mix well.
- Serve, or you can chill before serving.
The amounts of herbs can be flexible depending on what you have on hand. I measured each bunch as about a handful, but you can add more or less depending on what you have.
Keywords: lentil salad, healthy recipes, vegetarian recipes, healthy sides, healthy lunch ideas, vegan, garden, herbs, vegetables, tomato, carrots, farro, lentils, dill, parsley, chives, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice,